Monday, November 15, 2010

I'm proud to be an American...

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America..."
When was the last time you said the pledge of allegiance? Thursday morning, as we were driving, I asked Vince if he could recite the pledge. Neither of us could remember the full pledge even though we used to say it every day for 8 years. It finally got to the point to where I had to look on my phone and it only took one glance to remember it. Now let me ask, how often do you think of America and the many men that have served her, both past and present? I mean really take a moment and reflect?
I have to admit I didn't really give much deep thought to it. I love to study history, and it was neat and I felt blessed, but I never sat down and thought of what the men and their families went through and still go through today. I had the opportunity to attend the most patriotic event I have ever been to. It opened my eyes and  made me think "wow, these men are simply amazing." I can think of nothing else to describe it.
It opened up with the army band playing some songs, both patriotic and not. Then all of a sudden you heard gun fire and the sound of bombs, then you saw smoke across the field purple and green. In the midst of the smoke came out 10 men. Armed and moving toward you in a formation that meant to kill. Then they stopped pacing and stayed crouched where they were, not moving. After a few minutes of wondering what was going to happen next, the men jumped up and sprinted towards you. Let me tell you, it was awesome and intimidating. When the men reached the end of the field they stood in line and a voice over the speaker began to described what each man's duty was and what weapons they had.
After the little lesson, the graduation started. The men graduating were standing tall, straight, and in uniform. The way they marched onto that field was awe inspiring. They moved as one, being one.
I've never understood how a group so big could move together in synchronization not ever messing up. Still don't quite understand how. The graduation was pretty fast, there was a few words and then they cited the Infantry creed, which if none of you have ever heard it, I suggest you go look it up.
It starts with:
I am the Infantry
I am my country's strength in war,
her deterrent in peace.
I am the heart of the fight
wherever, whenever.
And it ends with:
I forsake not my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty.
I am relentless
I am always there, now and forever
I am the Infantry
Follow me!

After the words were said, the men marched in a big circle, they marched in front of the crowd and then back to position, and that was it. The graduation was over. We were then let onto the field to congratulate our soldier before they were off to enroll in Airborne. I'll finish this up so it's not so long and I'll continue on with a different post. I mainly wanted this post to be about our military and the special effort they put in to serve not only our country, but us as individuals. With Veteran's day just passing, I think it proper to say thank you to all who have served and continue to serve us. A special thanks to my brother for making the decision to join. He, who left his wife and family behind for a very long few months, is serving you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nicely put Ashley...I'm sure you will view things totally different with your brother in the military.....I did not know Michael while he served in the military but knowing he had makes Veterans Day that much more special....Thanks for this heart felt post Ashley...Love Your Mother In-Law Shelynn

Britt Thomas said...

yay updates! love the post and pics-- scott and I send our love! xoxo

Tracy said...

Nice post. It was inspiring to attend the graduation, wasn't it? I loved it! Not just for the patriotism but to get to see you, Vince and Mya again! Love you!